Be Kind Champions Wanted
JOIN US IN CREATING POSITIVE ENVIRONMENTS FOR KIDS TO ENJOY FOOTBALL
People in the grassroots game should be proud of the environment they create for kids. Sadly, however, there are still people involved in clubs, or who are connected to clubs (i.e parents), who choose to behave in ways that are simply unacceptable and inexcusable. West Riding FA represent over 90,000 people (players, coaches, referees, volunteers) and hundreds of matches take place at the weekend across the County.
YOU TOLD US:
• West Riding FA should ‘do more’ and be more present on matchday
• West Riding FA doesn’t appreciate the scale of poor behaviour (and patterns of behaviour)
• Referees don’t consistently manage poor behaviour on matchday (players, club officials, spectators)
• Referees don’t consistently report poor touchline behaviour
• Clubs don’t do enough to regulate the behaviour of their players, coaching staff, and spectators
• West Riding FA aren’t aware of the type of actions/language used at children’s football matches and don’t take appropriate action
• Instances of poor behaviour should be reported and addressed as a safeguarding matter in conjunction with the formal FA disciplinary procedure
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Join our team as a BE KIND CHAMPION and work with the West Riding FA to help create child centered environments that we can all be proud of, we would love to hear from you.
WHAT'S THE PLAN
To recruit a group of individuals who are passionate about providing good quality experiences for kids and enabling them, on behalf of West Riding FA, to attend junior football matches and report back on what they see and hear.
West Riding FA will work with league officials to identify games and our BE KIND CHAMPIONS will attend the game and provide post-match feedback, good and bad, on their experience at the game.
We aim to sample 10 games per weekend between November 2021 and May 2022 = 160 games in total.
DO THE BE KIND CHAMPIONS GET PAID?
Yes. Each BE KIND CHAMPION will receive £15 per game.
ARE THE BE KIND CHAMPIONS EXPECTED TO CHALLENGE POOR BEHAVIOUR ON MATCH DAY?
No. It is the responsibility of the Referee to manage the game and the environment.
The BE KIND CHAMPION is simply there to observe and feedback post-match.
WHAT TRAINING WILL BE GIVEN?
BE KIND CHAMPIONS will be invited to an induction workshop where more information will be provided about the project and the expectations of the role.
The project is fluid and will evolve as it progresses. We will work with our BE KIND CHAMPIONS to develop the project to better meet the aims.
WILL CLUBS AND REFEREES KNOW ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME?
Yes. The programme is not intended to be secret. Referees will be informed when a BE KIND CHAMPION is attending the game. Clubs will be informed after the game if a BE KIND CHAMPION attended.
WHO CAN BE A BE KIND CHAMPION ?
Anyone who cares about creating positive environments for kids.
The only requirements are;
• An in-date Safeguarding For All Qualification
• An in-date DBS check
• A clean FA Disciplinary Record
Our BE Kind campaign